Thunder Blow Out Bulldogs to Extend Winning Streak

Thunder Blow Out Bulldogs to Extend Winning Streak

ANGOLA, Ind. -- The Trine men's lacrosse team blew out Adrian, 17-2, in MIAA action on a rainy Wednesday evening in Fred Zollner Athletic Stadium.

The Thunder scored 13 unanswered goals over the final two-plus quarters of action before the game was called due to lightning with 5:34 to play. Tyle Klima (Schaumburg, Ill. / Schaumburg) and Neil Orr (Lombard, Ill. / Montini Catholic) each contributed five points to pace the attack. Klima racked up his total on four goals and an assist, while Orr added three goals and two helpers. Trine extended its winning streak to three games and improved to 7-3 overall, 3-1 in the MIAA. Adrian fell to 2-9 overall and 0-4 in the conference.

Conner Putman (Ridgefield, Conn. / Ridgefield) contributed four points on a goal and three assists for the Thunder. Nick Maher (DeWitt, Mich. / DeWitt) added three points on two goals and an assist, while Ian Grise (Goshen, Ind. / Northridge) and Daniel Shine (Chicago, Ill. / Lane College Tech Prep) each contributed a pair of goals. Trine has now outscored its opponents 35-10 over the last three games.

The Thunder held its third-consecutive conference opponent to fewer than five goals. Trine is allowing just 3.3 goals per game during that stretch. The team entered tonight's contest ranked 12th in the nation in scoring defense.

Brent Farrugia (Clarkston, Mich. / Clarkston) caused a career-high four turnovers and collected five ground balls to help lead the defensive effort. Aaron Warner (League City, Texas / Clear Springs) added two caused turnovers. Jordan Batie (Goshen, Ky. / North Oldham) won 10-of-15 faceoffs and notched a team-high seven ground balls.

Trine out-shot Adrian by a 32-8 margin and held a 33-16 edge in ground balls. The Thunder capitalized on 3-of-6 man-up opportunities.

Adrian was led by Justin Polischuck, who scored one goal and notched an assist. Cody Schmitt scored the other Bulldogs' tally.

Orr got the Thunder on the board less than a minute in, but Polischuck answered at the 8:29 mark to tie the score. Goals by Orr, Putman and Maher helped Trine seize a three-goal lead. Schmitt cut the score to 4-2 at the end of the first quarter.

After that, it was all Thunder as the team scored the final 13 goals of the game. Trine scored four goals each in the second and third quarters, before adding five in the first 9:26 of the final quarter before the game was called due to lightning. All three of Trine's man-up goals came during the 13-0 run. Klima, Grise and Shine contributed the goals on the man-advantage.

Trine returns to action Saturday, Apr. 22 when the Thunder travel to face MIAA leader Albion. Faceoff is scheduled for noon.